Friday, December 18, 2009

Quarantine

This week we all caught a bad cold.  More accurately, I caught it from someone on the train or at Penn, Katie caught it from me, and Maureen caught it from Katie.

As a result, it's been a strange week.  We've all slept more than usual (except Maureen, who caught her cold today and has been busy taking care of Katie and me).  Time has slowed down and sped up.  The patterns we've begun to form have been temporarily disrupted.  

It was disappointing to have to stay home and miss a couple get-togethers with friends that we were really looking forward to.  And it was hard for me to go for a couple days without holding Katie (before she caught my cold and caution became unnecessary).  

Worst of all, we've had to listen to Katie suffer through some pretty bad congestion.  We bought a humidifier, broke out the saline drops, and leaned on Maureen's growing expertise with an aspirator (pictured in the grim still life below).  But after doing all that we've still had to sit by and listen to a lot of labored baby-breathing, which is just about enough to break your heart.

Mom told me today that she struggled through the same thing when my brothers and I were kids.  It's always reassuring to hear her say that sort of thing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment