Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Christmas Miracle

Digging through a drawer this morning in search of something to wear out into the snowstorm, I stumbled upon a pair of corduroys that I do not recall ever buying, borrowing, finding, shoplifting, or receiving as a gift.  As should be obvious from the photo below, this is a particularly handsome pair, made by Banana Republic, boasting thin wales and a very rich taupe color.

Corduroy has a freighted history in our household.  I am a huge fan, embracing this noble fabric as excellent attire for all seasons.  Cordurory can be worn casually or in finer settings.  It never needs to be ironed.  It lasts a long time. It makes a pleasant sound as one moves through a room.

Maureen, largely, I would say, in reaction to my advocacy, spent the first year of our marriage disparaging corduroy. Under my tutelage, she has progressed to the point where she now owns a pair of her own and recently mentioned the possibility of buying another.  This pleases me, of course, though I will not be fully satisfied until I see her wearing corduroys on a hot day in July.

Given this history of dischord, it is worth noting that it was Maureen, not me, who referred to my discovery this morning as a "Christmas miracle."

Ah, wondrous textile!  Your powers are greater than even I had imagined.  You alone among the cotton-based fabrics can reconcile warring spouses, filling them, filling us all, with good will and Christmas cheer!


No comments:

Post a Comment